Adverse Possession, Easement & Covenant Removals

Do have a fencing dispute or other property issue? Our experienced lawyers can help with adverse possession claims.

When it comes to issues with boundaries, covenants, easements and fencing disputes in Victoria, CKL Lawyers has a range of legal procedures to follow for applications, escalation and resolution.

It doesn’t take much for a disagreement to turn into something more serious, so getting the right advice is important.

Adverse Possession Claims Victoria

What can you do if your neighbour encroaches on your property?

We’ll help you understand your rights in Adverse Possession claims in Victoria.

Neighbourhood fencing disputes often end up escalating into disputes about where the boundary fence should be positioned, and then an Adverse Possession claim is made by one party. If you want to make a claim or have had a claim made against you, our fencing dispute lawyers can guide you through the process.

Fence Disputes

What Is Adverse Possession?

Adverse possession is a method of gaining legal title to real property through the actual, open, hostile, and continuous possession of land to the exclusion of its true owner for the period prescribed by state law. In essence, it’s a fencing dispute of an incorrect boundary fence.

The legal theory underlying the vesting of title by adverse possession is that title to land must be certain. Since the owner has, by his or her own fault and neglect, failed to protect the land against the hostile actions of the adverse possessor, an adverse possessor who has treated the land as his or her own for a significant period of time is recognised as its owner.

Anyone, including private individuals, corporations, the federal government, states, and municipal corporations, can be an adverse possessor. Where the Applicant can provide satisfactory proof of 30 years adverse possession, the Registrar will grant an application subject to payment of a contribution. This is usually about 0.5% of the value claimed but may be waived entirely where the Registrar is of the opinion that granting the application would not impose any risk to the Consolidated Fund.

In the case of 15 years adverse possession, the levy may be increased to approximately 1%. You may need to contribute to the Consolidated Funds account and we will be advised by the Land Titles Office of this requirement once the documents have been lodged.

If you think you have the right to acquire land by adverse possession, contact our Fencing Disputes Victoria Lawyers. If you have been given a fencing notice by your neighbour, that does not seem to be in the right place, and you think you are under threat of losing your land to an adverse possession claim, please do not hesitate to contact us immediately to assess the validity of the potential claim. A simple fencing dispute can result in a costly adverse possession claim in Victoria.


What proof of support do I need for an Application for Adverse Possession?

1. Date possession was commenced and the circumstances, e.g. under contract of sale and from whom.

2. Proof that the applicant, either alone or together with other persons, has been in exclusive possession of the land and this has been uninterrupted for at least 15 years.

3. Use of land, who occupied it throughout the period of ownership and whether ownership was exclusive, continuous and uninterrupted.

4. How was the land kept exclusive e.g. fence, wall, buildings.

5. Means of access to the land.

6. Improvements to the land, if so, what and when and by whom.

7. Who paid rates for the land and how can this be verified e.g. letter from Council identifying the land and confirming who has paid the rates.

8. Value of the claimed land and evidence documenting the basis upon which this value is calculated (e.g. rates notice, sworn valuation).

9. Details of any fencing dispute with the owner of the land.

10. Confirmation that no part of the land has been proclaimed by a public road.

11. Confirmation that the Applicant has not acknowledged the title of the registered proprietor in respect of the land claimed or any part thereof.

12. Historical aerial photo of the land showing the fence.

A further Statutory Declaration will need to be prepared for an independent witness who can state that he or she has known the land for at least 15 years and can verify your exclusive use and occupation.

A survey plan field prepared by a licensed surveyor will need to be lodged with the application together with any historical aerial photos of the land.

Our Property lawyers can assist you to engage a Licence Surveyor, and find the necessary documents above to proceed with a claim. Call us for a no obligation chat to sort out your Adverse Possession claim.

Adverse Possession - CKL Lawyers


What Is A Restrictive Covenant? 

A restrictive covenant is a type of real covenant, a legal obligation imposed in a deed by the seller upon the buyer of real property to do or not to do something. Such restrictions frequently “run with the land” and are enforceable on subsequent buyers of the property.

What are common Restrictive Covenants?

  • A restriction on the number of dwellings on a parcel of land, eg. one per lot.
  • A restriction on the minimum or maximum size that a dwelling may be built.
  • A restriction on the building materials allowed to be used in the building of a dwelling, eg. no weatherboard houses or must have a tiled roof.
  • Landscaping restrictions.
  • Building height restrictions.
  • Design to be approved by a design assessment panel.
  • Front façade to be in keeping with the streetscape.
  • Restrictions on the exact positioning of dwelling.
  • Restrictions on completion and occupancy dates, eg. denying an investor the right to hold on to vacant land in a new subdivision.
  • A restriction on the right to subdivide.
  • Restrictions on signage, advertising and storage of commercial vehicles and equipment on the property.
  • Removal of gravel, stone and other materials from the site.

If you think you are subject to a covenant over your land and would like to discuss the possibility of building over the land or using the land, we can advise you if you are permitted to use the land or if you can apply to remove the covenant.

If you would like to add a covenant to your land, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced property lawyers to discuss the possibility of making an application to register a covenant.

Covenants - CKL Lawyers


An easement is an area of land that forms part of the title of a property but it has been set aside for special purposes and is generally not available to build over. However, you can apply for permission to remove an easement or build on an easement.
The types of easements you can make an application to potentially remove or build over include:

  • Water easement
  • Drainage easement
  • Sewerage easement
  • Telephone easement
  • Gas pipeline easement
  • Solar easement (right to light – eg building a window restricting neighbour’s light)
  • View easement (right to an existing view)
  • Beach access
  • Driveway easement (mutual driveway access with another party)
  • Dead-end access (usually set aside to allow pedestrians on a dead-end street access to the next public way)
  • Conservation easement
  • Historic preservation easement
  • Easement of lateral and subjacent support (prohibits an adjoining land owner from digging too deep on his lot in any manner depriving his neighbour of vertical or horizontal support on the latter’s structure), eg. buildings & fences
Easements - CKL Lawyers

If you think you are subject to an easement over your land and would like to discuss the possibility of building over the land or using the land, we can help. We can advise you if you are permitted to use the land or if you can apply to remove the easement. Alternatively, if you would like to add an easement to your land, please don’t hesitate to contact our property lawyers to discuss the possibility of making an application to register an easement.

Take The First Step - Contact Us

Our friendly CKL team will be in touch shortly.